Alacrity is launching a new podcast series focusing on the growing cleantech sector: “Cleantech Talk.” Throughout the series, we’ll be talking to CEOs of cleantech startups, as well as advisors and investors, to find out how this exciting space is developing.
In this first episode, we talk to Julie Angus who is CEO of Open Ocean Robotics. Before starting this cleantech company, Julie studied psychology and molecular biology and worked in venture capital, business development, and technology transfer. She and husband, Colin, have been on various expeditions around the world, including one in which Julie became the first woman to row across the Atlantic Ocean. In 2006, Julie and Colin won the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year Award.
Since then, she’s pursued entrepreneurial endeavours, co-founding Open Ocean Robotics with the goal to collect ocean data using energy-harvesting autonomous boats. The company has developed a few prototypes, with the boats powered by either wind or solar energy.
Julie’s team works with researchers, environmental regulators, governments, and other organizations, like the Canadian Coast Guard, to test their boats and further develop their capabilities. The boats can also be applied to commercial uses to improve ship fuel efficiency, detect and clean up oil spills, and enforce regulations around greenhouse gas emissions, illegal fishing, and much more.
Listen to this episode to hear Julie discuss:
- her journey across the Atlantic in a rowboat during a hurricane;
- going from adventurous expeditions to becoming a clean-tech startup founder, combining her love of science with her passion for adventure;
- Open Ocean Robotic’s goals and possible impacts;
- how the company’s energy-harvesting autonomous boats work;
- how Julie’s experienced being a woman in the tech sector;
- the future of Open Ocean Robotics.
More from Cleantech Talk
This series also features conversations with:
- Devesh Bharadwaj and Dr. Ian MacDonald of Pani Energy,
- Peter van der Gracht of QuantoTech,
- Sam Samida-Pugh of Progressive Fusion Solutions, and more.
You can listen to these podcasts, and more, on the streaming platforms listed below:
About Alacrity Canada
Alacrity Canada is a venture builder that supports driven entrepreneurs by connecting them to our global network of expert investors & mentors.
We are currently running a Cleantech Scale-Up Program to help BC clean technology companies drive export revenue and access growth capital from select foreign markets.
For more articles like this, sign up for our newsletter.